Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Federal $ to Foreign aid

Recently I have been surfing the internet and have constantly been seeing links to donate to the people of Japan.

As a nation, should we be putting money into foreign humanitarian aid, when poverty and humanitarian issues exist at home?  Has New Orleans been fully rebuilt?

How much should be spent aboard and where do you draw the line?  In 2010, Haiti received over $30 million US aid.

Obama has called for Americans to donate to the cause in Japan, in the media.  This is someone's personal choice, but when federal dollars are sent to be spent on aid, everyone has to pay.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm. I'm not sure what to say about this. I would guess, with the recession, you're not the only one thinking about this.

    And at the same time, I think there is a difference between spending on development (rebuilding over time, like in Louisiana) and helping people in a disaster. I think in disasters our humanity has to come through, our compassion, before anything else. We all know what suffering is, and how much we need help when that happens. I don't know. It's hard for me to be uber-logical at moments like this.

    ReplyDelete